Dental bonding is a cosmetic treatment process in which our dentist attaches tooth-colored materials to the surface of a tooth to enhance its shape or color. The tooth enamel fuses to the porcelain or resin bonding material to restore the tooth without it looking unnatural. If you are considering dental bonding, we offer the following FAQs to help you determine if it’s right for you:
What does dental bonding do?
Our dentist may use dental bonding to:
- Fill in cavities formed by tooth decay
- Repair chips and cracks in teeth
- Improve the appearance of discolored teeth
- Close unwanted gaps or irregular spacing between teeth
- Make teeth look longer
- Enhance tooth shape
- Cover tooth root exposed by gum recession
What are the benefits of dental bonding?
- While many dental restorations need to be created in a lab, dental bonding can be performed in the office.
- Dental bonding typically requires only one visit to the office, depending on how many teeth need to be treated.
- Anesthesia may not be needed unless we are filling a cavity.
How do I care for bonded teeth?
You will need to practice proper dental hygiene such as brushing twice a day, floss daily, and visiting the dentist at least twice a year to receive dental checkups.
How long will my dental bonding last?
Dental bonding can last from three to 10 years before it needs repairs, depending on your dental habits.
You are welcome to contact us today at 314-741-5133 to speak with our dentist, Dr. Sam Cigno, about the process of dental bonding in St. Louis, Missouri.