Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is an oral health disorder characterized by foul smells emanating from the mouth of a person. Oftentimes, this can be caused by the foods you eat or the condition of your teeth and gums, but there are other cases that extend much deeper into the body. Listed below are common causes of bad breath:
- Underlying diseases such as periodontal disease, generally known as gum disease, could be the cause of your bad breath.
- Bad oral hygiene in your mouth, such as high levels of plaque buildup, can contribute to bad breath.
- Some underlying diseases can result in bad breath, including respiratory tract infections, and liver and kidney problems.
- Bad breath is usually caused by the lack of proper oral hygiene routines.
- Various medications can cause bad breath as a symptom.
- As you age, various dental services that are not cared for can cause bad breath, including dentures that must be washed and soaked in a cleaning solution every day.
- Bad breath may have many causes, but it can usually be treated or temporarily relieved with the use of mouthwash.
Bellefontaine Family Dental is here to help you with bad breath and all your oral health needs. For a complete diagnosis from Dr. Sam Cigno and our team at our dentist office in St. Louis, Missouri, you can schedule an appointment by calling us at 314-741-5133. We look forward to helping you smile.